Did you know?
- Every 40 seconds around the globe, someone somewhere reports suffering from a stroke.
- 600,000 stroke patients experience it for the first time
- 1 in 4 patients complain of recurrence of stroke
- Count of 15 million stroke patients reported every year, and the number seems to soar
Yes, the numbers are highly worrisome. However, with the emerging medical science, 80% of strokes can be easily prevented. But, you will be astonished to know that even being the leading preventive disability, stroke is known to have a devastating impact worldwide.
It won’t be much saying that we lack being impulsive to detect the stroke and get it stopped. Because how is it possible that a disorder seen so often and having preventive measures is still putting such a heinous effect. Thus, it is highly imperative to spot the warning signs of stroke and take substantial action to control the impact. Because it is such a severe disease, that one may lose a life.
Helping spot the signs of stroke as soon as possible, we have penned down everything you need to know about stroke.
Read through to get aware and spread awareness!
What is a stroke?
A stroke refers to a brain attack that tends to occur as the result of a reduced blood supply to the brain. Even a blood clot or a hemorrhage can hinder the normal blood supply and result in causing brain stroke. The stroke is nothing but when the brain cells start to die because of the decreased supply of oxygen and nutrients.
Brain specialists say that every minute of stroke causes 2 million blood cells to die, increasing the complications.
Thus, it is highly critical to determine the stroke’s signs and rush to the brain specialists and prevent the brain damage. Every minute is crucial in making or breaking the life of the patient. So, be fast enough once you determine if you or your loved one is having a stroke.
What are the types of stroke?
Brain strokes can be categorized into two types which are:
- Hemorrhagic stroke
It is a more severe Stroke. The strokes that tend to occur as a result of rupture or perforation of blood vessels inside the brain are known as hemorrhagic strokes. Arterial hypertension stands to be the major risk factor for causing such types of strokes.
- Ischemic stroke
This is more common than hemorrhagic stroke. When a clot causes the blockage of blood vessels leading to a stroke, it is termed as ischemic stroke. 87% of brain strokes record as being ischemic.
What are the signs of a stroke?
Fast reaction and action is the need of the hour to lower the above numbers. For this, you should be very thorough and accurate in detecting the following signs of stroke and then immediately take the patient to a nearby hospital.
The warning signs of stroke are:
- Numbness or weakness in the arms, legs, and face, usually on the one side
- Trouble while speaking and understanding the language
- Reduced and blurred vision of both or one eye
- Loss of balance and coordination
- Unexplained dizziness
- Severe headache whose reason remains undefined
These are the hallmark symptoms of a stroke.
Other than these, the following symptoms also indicate the disrupted functionality of your nervous system.
- Weakness or paralysis of any part of the body
- Gait disturbances
- Muscle stiffness
- Difficulty swallowing
- Involuntary eye movements
- Inability to speak or slurred speech
- Loss of sensation in any part of the body
- Memory loss
- Behavioral changes
What should be done after seeing the stroke signs?
Be as fast as possible!
Yes, after you see the signs of a stroke, all you have to do is rush to the nearby brain specialist without second thoughts. Stroke being a medical urgency, every minute will decide the patient’s well-being. So, take the patient right away to the doctor.
An acronym developed by the medical industry referred to as F.A.S.T is a commendable way to remember the warning signs of stroke and take action accordingly.
It stands for:
- F-Face: Tell the person to smile and check if that results in face drooping. If yes is your evaluation, or you notice an uneven smile, kindly rush to the brain specialist.
- A-Arms: Ask the person for raising both arms and then instruct them to raise one arm a little above the other. If you observe a downward drift in the arm, it is a sign to reach for medical assistance.
- S-Speech: Look out if the person has some trouble while speaking or they slur. Strange speech is another worrisome sign.
- T- Time: If the patient fails any of the above tests, be responsible enough to note the time and immediately get medical help.
As said, stroke treatment is all about the right timing. So once you discover the warning signs, run to a nearby brain specialist without a delay of a second.
Consult the best brain specialist at EMC Hospital
Timely Action is the best Management for stroke!
Educate people around you so that each can help if they see a patient suffering from a brain stroke. If you discover any of the above symptoms in your loved ones, consulting the best brain specialist hospital in Amritsar is the wisest decision. With years of excellence in neurology specification, EMC Group of Hospitals has attained a trustworthy position in the medical industry.
Known for serving multiple generations, we have a team of the best brain specialists that are available round the clock. Our patient-centric neurological assistance has helped patients to experience the best treatment and get their health restored.
For any queries related to neurological disorders or the warning signs of a stroke, kindly connect with us right away.